Water filters help to alleviate health and safety concerns when it comes to tap water for a variety of use. They also help to remove any particulate matter or chemicals, which may affect the taste of the water. Some of the contaminants that may exist in the water include lead, chlorine, microbial cysts, or even mercury. A water filter pitcher is an innovation that combines the benefit of portability and easy filtration process to an easy access to fresh, filtered, crystal clear water. Some of these water filter pitchers work to make the water more alkaline. This can benefit the overall health and wellness. We have done the research for buying the best water filter pitcher on your behalf and have collected our findings in this review.
Best Water Filter Pitcher Picks and Reviews
This product is one of the largest basic pitcher that holds enough water for the household. The built-in oval design fits better inside refrigerator doors, with its size of 12 by 7.5 by 16.5 inches. It also has a BPA-free filter that helps to reduce impurities in the water. The carbon filter removes the chlorine present in the tap water through the process of ion exchange system of the filter. It acts to remove impurities such as chlorine taste and odor, mercury, copper, and cadmium, among others. This also helps to make the water taste better than tap water. The sticker filter indicator notifies when there is a need to change the water filter. This usually takes approximately two months or about 40 gallons of water.
- The Brita Everyday Water Pitcher is very powerful, simple and durable. It removes the weird taste of the water.
- The handle and overall design is also very luxurious and allows simple pouring of water.
- The Brita Everyday Water Pitcher comes with affordable and widely available replacement filters. You can find its replacement filters from pretty much any major grocery store and obviously online.
- Successful and complete water filtration requires that water has to go through the filter twice resulting to a bit slower water pouring.
- Since it has an easy to open lid, there is no cover over the sprout, which potentially makes storing in a smelly refrigerator not so nice.
- The Brita Everyday Water Pitcher is appropriate for water that contains lime or other huge impurities.
Brita 10 Cup Everyday Water Filter Pitcher is a great value for money and does exactly what it says. It is not only durable but also holds enough water for the convenience of use in the household. Overall, it is a great product for everyone who does not like the hassle of having to buy filters way too often than needed.
This product is a water filtration from Germany. It has only up to 8-cup capacity that suits small household. It fits easily in refrigerator doors with its size of 10 x 11 x 10 inches but can be bulky for some. It makes use of a plastic flip-top lid that claims to make the pitcher easy and quick to refill with water. Its filters help remove chlorine, mercury, copper and other impurities from water. It also has a micro-screen that prevents carbon from oozing out of the filter. The silverized water filter provides the same 40-liter capacity, but sells separately. It also has an indication gauge for the filter which uses a time-based meter to notify the need for the change of filter.
• This MAVEA water filter pitcher comes in great build quality in a sleek design with a stable handle.
• It does not drip water while the water filters are working so you can start using the filtered water without waiting for the filtration process to finish.
• It comes with “MAVEA MEMO Meter” which will alert you when to replace the filter.
• The filter indicators solely bases the indicator on time and not with use.
• There are limited supplies of the filter and they are not easy to find.
• The act of filling in water inside the filtration pitcher is not as smooth as in advertisements.
• The MAVEA Marella water filter pitcher tends to make the water taste like plastic.
I am a bit disappointed with this product because of its durability issues and the filters are hard to find. This makes it a great disadvantage, as water filter indicator requires the filters replacements more often than needed. However, if other water filter pitchers are not readily available, this should suffice for water filtering needs. It also looks pretty great with its European style of design.
This product is made of plant-based filters. It is also made of BPA- free plastic, which they claim as shatter proof. It comes in a great design that holds up to 10 cups of water. However, the filtering capacity is vaguely explained as well as the testing of its performance.
• It claims to be sustainable and supports a cause
• Compared to other filters, it does its job pretty quick
• It comes in sleek design and an innovative wooden handle
• It has a wider spout that makes pouring more predictable and consistent
• The filter is of poor and insufficient quality, with the questionable capability to remove heavy metals, chlorine, and bacteria as well as other impurities.
• The design of the filter welcomes the growth of molds because it does not completely dry after washing.
• The Soma water filter pitcher is expensive compared to other brands.
• The wooden handle requires being periodically treated with mineral oils to prolong its use.
• The wider spout design also welcomes the contact of water with the smelly air of a refrigerator which can affect its taste
Soma Sustainable Pitcher & Plant-Based Water Filter is way too expensive than other brands. With the issues of the filter and its safety, I do not think it is worth more cash than the other brands. I must commend that there is a good cause behind this product. However, since there are safety issues and high maintenance packaging, I would stick to the more affordable brands.
This product holds about 2.5 liters of alkaline water, which is enough for a small family. It comes in 10.5 x 4.2 x 10 inches size. It is also BPA free. It utilizes a 7-stage premium cartridge that includes ion exchange resin, tourmaline, mineral balls, and carbon. It removes chlorine, odors, heavy metals and about 90 percent of zinc, copper, lead, and other pollutants to create alkaline water.
• It comes in a unique design that fits easily in the refrigerator.
• It provides alkaline water, which has some health benefits.
• The ergonomic handle is comfortable for use.
• The filter is replaced only after 150 liters of use.
• The excessive drinking of alkaline water also poses risk to the health.
• The alkaline water pitcher durability is questionable due to its cheap plastic material.
• The handle of the alkaline water pitcher is not as durable and tends to fall off and the lid does not fit well.
• There is an issue with the filtered water mixing with the non-filtered water when using the alkaline water pitcher.
The alkaline water pitcher is good but it is quite pricey for a 2.5-liter water pitcher. Even though the alkaline water is good for the body, since the pitcher build and also its filter are not of high quality, we do not think I can use the product for a long time. The filters are also quite expensive. For household use, I would prefer to use the cheaper yet durable brands because there is where the real value product is.
This product is capable of holding 6 cups of water with its 10.9 x 5.6 x 10.5 size. It helps to make the water taste better and healthier. The Brita Atlantis Water Filter Pitcher is also BPA free and helps to remove impurities such as zinc, copper, mercury, and cadmium. It has an ergonomic design and it features an easy to refill flip top lid. The filters are replaced every 40 gallons or two months. It also comes with a water filter indicator to track when to change it.
• The handle is easy to grip and makes the pouring of water very easy to do.
• The lip flips are quite easy to use and allow quick water refilling process.
• There is a sticker filter indicator, which helps to know when it is time to change the filter.
• Its filtering capacity is really effective in turning into ideal drinking water.
• Susceptible to mold and algae growth that poses danger to health
• Prolonged storage of filtered water inside the pitcher affects the taste terribly
• It is not as small as indicated in the product description
• Not recommended for outdoor use because of the lack of balance in design
The Brita Atlantis Water Filter Pitcher is a great product but does not have a balanced design for outdoor use. This limits its versatility as a portable water-filtering appliance. Since the water tends to taste bad after hours of storage, we will not consider it as a daily and go-to water filter pitcher.
In general, our best bet will be Brita 10 Cup Everyday BPA Free Water Pitcher with 1 Filter Brita 10 Cup Everyday Pitcher with 1 Filter[/easyazon_link]. It holds enough water while maintaining its use as a handy water filter pitcher. It also removes unwanted substances such as impurities present in the tap water. You can be sure that the filters remove potential traces of health and life-threatening substances such as chlorine, disease-causing bacteria, and other heavy metals. In addition, it is a very versatile product is affordable, portable, and ideal for traveling, boating, camping, home, and other recreational uses.
Different Types of Water Filters
Water filters come in different types. Some of the very popular types are under-sink, faucet mounted, whole house, and pitchers. Knowing the types of water filters could provide you a great advantage in choosing the best water filter to invest your money on depending on your specific needs. Here are some:
Under Sink Water Filter
This type of filter needs a faucet on the sink. It doesn’t have any valves and tubing, thus, offering great aesthetics while performing its purifying capacities. However, it will take some of your cabinet space under the sink. Check out our top picks for under-sink water filters
Faucet Mounted Water Filter
As the name specified, faucet mounted filters are directly attached to the faucet allowing to have a filtered water on demand instead of waiting for it to flow through a pitcher. These types of filters usually slow down the water flow and filter’s core needs to be replaced regularly. We’ve reviewed the best faucet mounted water filters in another post.
Whole House Water Filters
This filter connects at the point where water enters home. This helps in eliminating impurities present in water supply before it goes directly inside your house, purifying the home’s tap water. These are very helpful in keeping you and your loved ones safe from potential dangers present in water.
Water Filter Pitchers
Or the pour through filters are usually made of plastic or glass water pitchers. These are very handy and significantly improve the water quality while its quick accessibility at home or at the office could give you a quick peace of mind about the quality of your water intakes.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Using a Water Filter Pitcher
Knowing the advantages and disadvantages of using water filter pitchers are very crucial in choosing the best based on one’s needs. There are many products present in the market but the core must be the focus. It is also important to be cautious as some can be misleading. You must weigh the pros from cons of each product accordingly.
Pros of Using Water Filter Pitchers
- Most affordable filtration option: Water filter pitchers are less expensive than other water filtering appliances available in the market such as under sink and whole house filters.
- Portability and ease of use: They are also portable, which is ideal for traveling, boating, camping, home, or other recreational uses. Water filter pitcher also does not require any installation.
- Storage: You can even store the water inside a refrigerator. With the wide range of its uses, the material must be durable and leak free to maintain the quality of water. A truly versatile water filter pitcher does not only filter but also store water to its best state.
Water filter pitchers are your best option if you’re looking for an affordable and convenient filtering system producing low amounts of water for drinking, making tea or coffee and cooking.
Cons of Using Water Filter Pitcher
- Limited filtering: As compared to other filtration appliances, water filter pitcher has its limitations in terms of removing unwanted substances and producing the highest quality water. The quality may be moderate compared to that of whole house and under sink filter systems.
- Slow filtering process: A typical water filter pitchers takes about 10 minutes to process the water.
- Low Filtration Capacity: Most of the water filter pitchers usually provide 8 to 12 cups of water that is way less than what other filters can provide.
Water filter pitchers come with limitations such as relatively lower filtration quality, slow filtering process and low capacity.
We hope this article has helped you with finding the best water filter pitcher. Again, there are different types of water filters for different purposes. If you’d like to step up your water filtration game, check out our whole-house, faucet mounted and under-sink water filter reviews.